The true meaning behind the “Twelve Days of Christmas” song!

10:43 PM




It’s the holiday season once again and Christmas Carols can be heard everywhere. But do you know that one of the most famous Christmas Song has a secret hidden behind its joyful melody and bizarre lyrics? Everyone’s accustomed with the song “Twelve Days of Christmas”. We can all sing its famous lines “On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me…”, “and a partridge in a pear tree” in different notes and tunes. But do you really know the real meaning of it?


The “Twelve Days of Christmas” is a song is with hidden references to the basic teachings of Christian faith. It was written in England to help the Catholics practice their faith since it was considered to be a crime in the middle of 1500’s to the 1800’s. Punishment for those who will be caught practicing their faith openly include not only imprisonment, but also death in forms one cannot imagine.

And now, for the song’s real meaning:

On the first day of Christmas my “TRUE LOVE” sent to “ME” a “PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE” – true love means “God” and me is for all those “people who have been christened”, while the partridge in a pear tree mentioned is “Jesus Christ”.

On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Two Turtle Doves” – which refers to the Bible’s “Old and New Testaments”.

On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Three French Hens” – for the three Theological Virtues - Faith, Hope and Charity.

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Four Calling Birds” – or the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists in the Holy Bible (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John)

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Five Golden Rings” – which means the first Five Books of the Old Testament or the"Pentateuch" (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy).

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Six Geese A-laying” – refers to God’s six days of creation.

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Seven Swans A-swimming” – these are the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit(wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety and fear of the Lord) and the seven sacraments(Baptism, Confirmation (Chrismation), Eucharist, Penance (Confession, Reconciliation), Matrimony, Holy Orders, Extreme Unction (Anointing of the Sick)).

On the eight day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Eight Maids A-milking” – for the eight beatitudes of Jesus (1) Blessed are the poor in spirit, 2) those who mourn, 3) the meek, 4) those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 5) the merciful, 6) the pure in heart, 7) the peacemakers, 8) those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake.)

On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Nine Ladies Dancing”- which are the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit (Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering (patience), Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-control).

On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Ten Lords A-leaping” – or the Ten Commandments.

On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Eleven Pipers Piping” – which refers to the eleven faithful apostles of Christ(Simon Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James bar Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, Judas bar James).

On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me “Twelve Drummers Drumming” – for the twelve articles of the Apostle's Creed.



There it is. The true meaning of the “Twelve Days of Christmas”! Happy singing! Happy Counting!

Source:
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resources/advent/customs-and-traditions/the-history-of-the-twelve-days-of-christmas/
http://www.crossroadsinitiative.com/library_article/352/key_to_the_twelve_days_of_christmas.html

Photos:
https://creativemarket.com/mbalkon/15316-12-Days-of-Christmas-Words
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2014/12/24/the-twelve-days-of-christmas-for-investors/



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images